Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Do you need to peel carrots?

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> "Theron" > wrote in message
>>> More about carrots. If you're making a stew or braised dish, do you
>>> need to peel the carrots? Why can't you just scrub them thoroughly. I
>>> think there's more flavor in the skin, and most likely there's more
>>> vitamin and nutrient content near the surface.
>>> Any thoughts?
>>> Does anyone do this?
>>>
>>> Ed
>>>

>> There's no need to peel carrots any more than there is need to peel
>> potatoes.

> That's not true... they're very different vegetables. Most people enjoy
> eating baked potato skins, many think the crisp skins are the best part,
> they even stuff them. Potato skin contains the majority of the
> vegetable's minerals (minerals neither evaporate or become damaged from
> heat), and a goodly portion of fiber, so they're nutritious in boiled
> potatoes too... in fact years ago folks ate the potato skins rather than
> filling up on the less nutritious starchy insides but fed the insides to
> their livestock to fatten them up for market.. this was very much the case
> in eastern Europe. When folks feel like they have time it's a good idea
> to eye potatoes before paring (eyes are toxic) and whiz the potato parings
> in a blender with some liquid and add that to a soup/stew, adds extra
> minerals. Most people don't like carrots with their skins, certainly not
> raw, the skins are bitter

I suppose I should have said I really dislike carrots and don't bother
cooking with or eating them Oh, I'll throw one or two in with a pot
roast or beef stew, but I don't bother peeling them first. Carrots are
entirely too sweet for my taste to just eat as a vegetable (which is the
sugary thing you mentioned before I snipped the rest of your post). And I
find them too fibrous even when cooked tender. Basically I don't like
carrots, but they do add flavour to stocks, soups and stews. Then I just
fish them out or don't eat them

Jill