Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Do you need to peel carrots?

"Theron" > wrote in message
> More about carrots. If you're making a stew or braised dish, do you need
> to peel the carrots? Why can't you just scrub them thoroughly. I think
> there's more flavor in the skin, and most likely there's more vitamin and
> nutrient content near the surface.
> Any thoughts?
> Does anyone do this?
>
> Ed

In long cooking dishes much of the vitamins in carrots are lost from the
heat. Even uncooked carrot skin is bitter, and with skin scrubbed off
carrots look hairy and are unpleasant to eat... pared with a good peeler
very little carrot is lost. I don't peel carrots for the deer but I don't
much care for carrot skin.