Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Low sodium sausage and bacon

"Tom Royer" > wrote in message
> Anyone know if there's such a thing as sodium free or low sodium bacon
> and/or sausage (I know Oscar Meyer does a lower sodium bacon, and it'll do
> in a pinch, but it's still a bit high for common usage).

There is a lower sodium bacon available, but any bacon will have some. You
can reduce the sodium by soaking it in water for a few minutes too.

Make your own sausage and control the salt. Commercial stuff has too much
for our tastes. You do need some salt to extract the myosin in the meat for
sausage to stick together, but I cut the typical salt quantity in half.