Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Freyburger Doug Freyburger is offline

Default Low sodium sausage and bacon

"Tom Royer" > wrote:

> I've just been put on a fairly strict low sodium diet and it plays havoc
> with my breakfast. *I like bacon and/or sausage (who doesn't?) with my eggs.
> Unfortunately, processed meats, bacon and sausage particularly, just blow
> the sodium budget all to hell. *Anyone know if there's such a thing as
> sodium free or low sodium bacon ...

The book "NeanderThin" about paleolithic dieting suggests
soaking a slab of bacon over night to leach out the salt.
Then rinse in the morning and cook.

There's a big flavor different - The salt means to turn up the
volume on the flavor - but I figure I'd get ued to it after a
while.

So rather than trying to find low salt bacon (smoke your own?)
try methods that remove the salt.