Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel Dan Abel is offline

Default Low sodium sausage and bacon

In article >,
"Tom Royer" > wrote:

> I've just been put on a fairly strict low sodium diet and it plays havoc
> with my breakfast. I like bacon and/or sausage (who doesn't?) with my eggs.
> Unfortunately, processed meats, bacon and sausage particularly, just blow
> the sodium budget all to hell. Anyone know if there's such a thing as
> sodium free or low sodium bacon and/or sausage (I know Oscar Meyer does a
> lower sodium bacon, and it'll do in a pinch, but it's still a bit high for
> common usage).

It would help some of the people here if you gave us an idea of the mg
per day that is your goal. I'm on some kind of "restricted sodium"
diet, but the doctor was very careful to say that it wasn't "low
sodium". It's 2000mg a day, which is not very low at all.

The other thing about most diets, which most people don't like to hear
(me included), is that the easiest way in concept, is to reduce
quantities rather than type of food. For instance, one strip of bacon,
of whatever kind, has half the sodium, calories and saturated fat of two
strips of the same kind of bacon. Many lower sodium foods don't cut the
sodium in half.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA