Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Marinated Garlic Cloves recipe?

"dejablues" > wrote in message

> "brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>> Betsy wrote:
>>> I have looked everywhere for a recipe for marinated garlic cloves. I
>>> love the ones at whole foods but why pay $10 a pound when you can make
>>> your own? I have looked on the internet and through all my cookbooks and
>>> i can't find one. Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance.

>> If you love those at Whole Foods why bother peeling a pound of garlic
>> cloves, and by the time you buy the garlic and the marinade ingredients
>> you will probably save nothing.

> My grocer sells a pound of peeled garlic cloves for $1.99.

I don't buy those. To me bottled garlic tastes like garlic gone bad. I
know that practically all commercially prepared products, including
restaurant food, uses bottled garlic but I don't think it tastes much like
how garlic is supposed to taste. I've noticed lately that all fermented
pickles have gone to bottled garlic, I can tell because real garlic is still
in its skin. I guess bottled garlic would work for someone who likes that
Whole Foods product because it very likely is made with bottled garlic. I
guess bottled garlic is okay but to me it tastes different like how garlic
powder tastes different. You wouldn't find me chomping down whole garlic
cloves anyways but if I were developing a recipe for marinated garlic cloves
I'd want to give it the best shot possible so I would peel my own garlic...
I know that bottled garlic is processed with a preservative which is why it
doesn't taste like real garlic. I've already been accused here of using
bottled minced garlic but be well assured I've never used any form of
bottled garlic... every clove of garlic I've ever used I've peeled with my
own fingers, and sliced or mashed with a knife... I've never owned a garlic
press either. I do use granulated garlic but I expect it to taste
different.