Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Dimitri Dimitri is offline

Default Mexican vs. Key limes

"Rich" > wrote in message
>I saw a margarita recipe on rec.food.cooking that made mention of Mexican
>vs. key limes. I've got a lime tree growing in my back yard with growth
>from below and above a graft. I've never been able to determine the type
>of limes growing on my tree. Both ripen to yellow. One fruit is lime like
>(round with thin skin) and the other is more lemon like (oblong with
>pointed ends and thicker skin). Neither resembles a typical "grocery
>store" lemon in size, rind or flesh color. The "round" one has a "store
>bought" lime flavor when used green, the oblong one other does not. Both
>become sweeter as they ripen. I'd like to figure out what kind of limes
>they are. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Rich

http://www.thenibble.com/REVIEWS/mai...f-lime.asp#key

Page 2

Key Lime (Citrus aurantifolia Swingle). Also known as the Mexican lime, West
Indies lime and Bartender's lime, the highly-aromatic Key lime is grown in
the Florida Keys, Mexico and the West Indies. It is smaller and round, the
size of a ping pong ball, and more fragrant and less acidic. The color can
range from a regular lime green to yellow in color, depending on ripeness.
Those not familiar with it can mistake it for a lemon, but the skin is
smooth, thin-skinned and full of small seeds. It also has a distinct, tart,
but less acid, juice than the Persian lime. Both are the only two limes,
acid or sour, that are commercially grown.

Dimitri