Yip Yap

Default Old Charmglow Grill

Eric > wrote in message >...
> Hello all,
>
> I've just moved into a house that has an old Charmglow Grill (HED-1
> Party Host) mounted to a permanent post. It's natural gas.
>
> From googling I now know this is a classic old grill that used to be a
> standard (or perhaps the only thing available). My question is this, is
> this grill worth restoring? It seems like it only needs a new burner
> and venturi, plus maybe a new knob, handle, some cleaning and possibly
> paint. The regulator and block seem okay, but what do I know, they may
> need replacement also. I can get a total redo kit for about $170 but it
> might cost less if I don't need everything. I did notice a site selling
> a redone full grill (on wheels rather than post) for $975
> (http://tinyurl.com/28qbc).
>
> I wonder if anyone can tell me how the old Charmglow (once restored)
> compares to the modern natural gas equivalent? It seems $170 for a nat
> gas grill, if it works well, beats out buying a new one for $600 or more.

You are very lucky to already have a natural gas line in place.
Would it be possible to connect a different grill to this
gas line?

If you are willing to spend that much on repairs, you should
consider spending $400 to replace the whole thing with a new
natural gas Weber. The Weber does a very fine job of cooking,
and I seriously doubt that your refurbished Charmglow will be
able to beat it.

-- Yip