Dimitri

Default Skimming grease from gravy?

"Gigi" <itchyfeet(no > wrote in message news:sYQnb.7098$

<snip>

> > I am sure they're one and the same. Nothing more than a measuring cup

with a
> > spout, only the base of the spout is at the bottom of the cup thereby
> > keeping the fat on the top.
> >
> > Dimitri
> >

> I have one of these cups but I've never been successful at using it. It

seems
> like when I tip it up to pour, the grease just comes with the good stuff.

Would
> someone explain the proper use of this piece of equipment? I know I must

be
> doing something wrong but I've never seen it used. I'm thinking maybe I

just
> don't tip it far enough but pouring hot stock plus fat is not conducive to

much
> experimentation. Thanks for any instructions.

In my experience the thinner the liquid the better the cup works. Therefore
I usually remove as much fat as possible before thickening the liquid. The
other point is the very tip of the spout will have some fat. I just discard
the tablespoon or so. Finally the longer you let the liquid set in the cup
the more fat will come to the top.

Dimitri