Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bobo Bonobo® Bobo Bonobo® is offline

Default Safeway "Rancher's Reserve"

On Apr 13, 7:09*pm, "Dale P" > wrote:
> "Paul & Robin Barrett" > wrote in messagenews:hbqdnaPEVu905H7UnZ2dnUVZ_sudnZ2d@poste d.gcicommunications...
>
> > Anyone else figure out that this much touted, supposedly superior, "grade"
> > of beef has been quietly downgraded from USDA Choice to USDA Select, at
> > least for some cuts? *I found out when I bought a whole rib roast which
> > was still in the cryovac wrap from the packing house and was identified as
> > Select. *Never would have known had they cut it up and put it in the
> > display case.

> > Paul Barrett

> I have always been very pleased with the Ranchers Reserve beef. *The only
> beef we eat just grilled is tenderloin steak, and thay are always great. *It
> is much better than Kroger. *Now we are buying Costco, and it is very good,
> but has to be frozen due to the larger qunatity.

If it's tenderloin, then select should be plenty tender, and select
tends to be leaner. Not always the case, as not as well marbled beef
can have more concentrated fat. I made beef stew today in the
Crockpot with lean, need to be braised, pre-cut chunks cut from
shoulder. That stuff is only good for braising or eating raw. Yes,
I'm a cross between an idiot and a wild animal in that I eat beef
cold, out of the package, and never seem to fall ill as a result.
Nothing wrong with Select, as long as you're not paying Choice prices
for it.
I buy strips and t-bones graded Choice, and sometimes the marbling
varies dramatically between steaks in the same coldcase. The steaks
that resemble Prime are more tender. Those that approach Select still
have that sweetness that I have come to associate with the strip cut,
but are admittedly chewier.
Select and ungraded beef is not unwholesome, just not as tender.

> DP

--Bryan
The album, "School of the Americas" is now available online.
Go to: http://www.thebonobos.com/
Click on the album cover to purchase. This is a fold out case with a
lyrics booklet for only $9.99. That's right folks, only $9.99.