Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel Dan Abel is offline

Default Safeway "Rancher's Reserve"

In article ications>,
"Paul & Robin Barrett" > wrote:

> Anyone else figure out that this

I stopped buying beef from Safeway a long time ago, well before they
came up with this "Rancher's Discards" name.

> much touted,

I never, ever heard anyone "tout" it except Safeway, and they never used
any words that meant anything.

> supposedly superior,

Again, never anything solid. It was just their "new" house brand.

> "grade"

Safeway had a long policy of only selling ungraded beef. I can't
imagine that they would ever start selling USDA Choice beef without
heavily advertising that fact. I never saw anything.

> of beef has been quietly downgraded from USDA Choice to USDA Select, at
> least for some cuts? I found out when I bought a whole rib roast which was
> still in the cryovac wrap from the packing house and was identified as
> Select. Never would have known had they cut it up and put it in the display
> case.

I just wonder if your local store ran out of rib roasts and just
couldn't get any from the warehouse, so ordered some locally.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

"[Don't] assume that someone is "broken" just because they behave in ways
you don't like or don't understand." --Miche