Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Ideas for Spring/Easter salad?

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 15:23:40 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
wrote:

>Good afternoon all,
>
>Trying to put together my Easter dinner menu, and I'm stuck on the
>salad.
>
>Usually I do a walnut, pear & blue cheese on butter lettuce, but I'm
>having a pear tart for dessert and I don't want to "double-dip".
>
>What other Spring-y green salads do you make? All suggestions welcome.

I've been reading back issues of Bon Appetite since posting my other
reply in this thread and came across this recipe.

Asian Spinach Salad with Orange and Avocado
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...Avocado-241325
Bon Appétit | February 2008

Makes 4 servings

ingredients
2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon (generous) Asian sesame oil
1 navel orange
1 6-ounce bag baby spinach leaves
1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch wedges

preparation

Whisk first 5 ingredients in large bowl. Season to taste with salt and
pepper. Set dressing aside.

Cut off peel and white pith from orange. Cut orange into 1/3-inch
rounds; cut rounds crosswise in half. Add spinach to dressing; toss to
coat. Add avocado and orange; toss gently.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.