Posted to rec.food.cooking
Swertz[_27_] Swertz[_27_] is offline

Default REQUEST: Clay Pot Chicken

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

>>> Cut up 1 chicken, cut the breasts into thirds, place in the pot. Add
>>> several slices of fresh ginger, a couple scallions cut in large pieces,
>>> straw or black mushrooms, some salt and a drizzle of sesame oil and a few
>>> drops of soy sauce. Add enough chicken stock to just reach the top of
>>> the
>>> ingredients. Water works just fine, too. Steam over boiling water for
>>> about 50 minutes.

>> Steaming defeats the whole purpose of the clay pot. Clay pot
>> [dishes] are meant to be baked or used on a stovetop (with a
>> diffuser).
>>
>> Nowadays they're used mostly for serving the prepared dish only as
>> there are more convenient ways to slow cook.
>>
>> -sw

> Bullhit. The whole reason they have a steam chimney in the center is
> because it is meant for STEAMING. Have you ever even seen one? I don't
> think you have. Googe Yunnan pot.

A Yunnan (note the spelling) pot is different than a Chinese clay
pot used in the rest of China and the rest of world, for that
matter. Claypots used by the vast majority of china have solid lids
and are used in the OVEN or over a fire.

Look it up, you arrogant, ignorant ...

> Moron.

Indeed.

Maybe if he was looking for instructions for a Yunnan steam pot,
then you may have been of some use for once.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clay_pot_cooking
http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/chineseclaypots.htm

Is there anything else you'd like to me to teach you? Or will you
stomp your feet up and down insisting you're right and the rest of
world is wrong (as usual).

-sw