Posted to rec.food.cooking
Paul M. Cook Paul M. Cook is offline

Default REQUEST: Clay Pot Chicken

> wrote in message
On Apr 6, 1:40 am, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> Bullhit. The whole reason they have a steam chimney in the center is
> because it is meant for STEAMING. Have you ever even seen one? I don't
> think you have. Googe Yunnan pot.

A regular clay pot or sand pot is just a pot, meant for slow cooking
or braising. No steam chimney. The Yunnan pot you are talking about
is a specialized design. It is, as you say, meant for steaming, (and
soup-making) but it is not what most people mean when they say "clay
pot." I'd be very surprised if the OP had a Yunnan pot. -aem

I beg to differ. I was turned on to clay pot cooking years ago when I went
to a Chinese restauramt and we ordered "clay pot chicken" for the table.
They brought it out in a large Yunnan pot. And on many other restaurant
menus I'd see it listed the same - clay pot chicken. Even if it was not on
the menu I discovered most restaurants will prepare it for you specially if
you ask and are willing to wait an hour for dinner.

You should give it a try, the results are really declicious. I also have
made Yunnan beef the same way. It comes out so incredibly tender and then
you have this amazing broth to go with it.

Paul