Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What's a substitute for Pernod?

Dave Smith wrote:
> Mark Thorson wrote:
>> Kris wrote:
>>> Good evening all,
>>>
>>> I want to make a recipe that calls for 1 TB of pernod.
>>>
>>> I am not buying a whole bottle of expensive liquor for THAT little!
>>> What else would be a sub for it? Sambuca (which I don'thave either)??

>> Pernod itself was developed as a mock absinthe.

> It was not a mock absinthe. Pernod was the most popular brand of that
> type of liquor. It had a high alcohol content and had the added kick of
> the wormwood. When absinthe was banned it re-emerged as pastis. a lower
> alcohol spirit but without the wormwood. It is very popular all around
> the Mediterranean and especially in France.

I had Pastis in Paris last Fall. It was wonderful. I have scoured the
local liquor stores and no one seems to have it. I looked on the cruise
ship in February but they didn't have it either. It seems to be a
novelty liquor here. I guess I can live without it. <g>

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas