Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan S. Dan S. is offline

Default Difference between marinara & pasta sauce?

FERRANTE, if I was in the mood, I'd turn the lights down low and reply
with soft music, but you'll have to accept this instead::
> What is the difference between a marinara sauce and a basic pasta
> sauce?
>
> Anyone have a good recipe for a simple marinara sauce, please?
>
> Mark

Maranira is a tomato based sauce that can be put on pasta or can be
used in a number of different ways. It's just blanched, peeled, diced
tomatoes, sauteed onions in olive oil, salt, pepper (red or black or
both), and your basic Italian herbs (thyme, oregano, and basil).
Simmer it and maybe thicken it with some tomato paste. Parmesan cheese
is an excellent accompaniment. There is no meat in marinera sauce.

"Pasta sauce" is a generic term. It can be anything from butter or
olive oil to pesto or marinara or meat sauce.

--
Yours,
Dan S.