Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Fermented Fuit Juice -- How to turn it into alcohol?

Mike wrote on Thu, 19 Mar 2009 07:15:05 +0100:

> cwdjrxyz wrote:
>> On Mar 18, 9:23 pm, milwaukee brewer > wrote:
>>> I've been making fermented fruit juice. I store and open
>>> commercial apple juice in the fridge for weeks. Then I just
>>> mix with water 1/2 and 1/2. Gets nice carbonated pop going but
>>> this isn't really alcohol, at least not yet. It's
>>> fermented alright. But not alcohol. At least, you can't get
>>> drunk from it.
>>>
>>> What do you have to do to turn this into alcohol?

>> To get a good drink with alcohol. you need yeast that
>> ferments sugars to alcohol, the right amount of sugars in the
>> juice, the right temperature (usually higher than
>> refrigerator temperature), the right amount of acids, etc.
>> Also you need to follow certain sanitation procedures, or
>> else bacteria may produce bad tastes and smells or even give you a
>> case of the "tourist trots". Most of us here consume
>> rather than make wine. You might get more help in the
>> group rec.crafts.winemaking. Also there are stores and web
>> sites that specialize in home wine making and beer brewing
>> and that can supply your needs. You might like to buy an
>> introductory book for home wine making from one of them. If
>> you can visit such a store in your area, the owner often is
>> willing to offer advice for those new to home wine making.

> Probably too much SO2 in commercial juice.

I'd agree with comments about doing fermentation under controlled
conditions and using proper yeasts. Apple juice, if bought from local
producers who don't pasteurize or add SO2, will ferment in the fridge
but I've never kept it long enough to detect more than a slightly "hard"
taste. I guess the amount of alcohol is small.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland