Posted to rec.food.baking
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Pound Cake - What Temperature Done?

"Dan Wenz" <wrote in message
>I baked a pound cake this morning, and, to avoid future use of the wife's
>wooden skewers, thus incurring her wrath, I decided to measure the internal
>temperature with my digital thermometer after visual check and a one-time
>use of one skewer, for future reference so that I might use internal
>temperature rather than shoving sharp objects into the cake.
>
> I checked the temperature (Lazily, in only one location), which was
> 208°F/98°C after removing the cake from the oven, 1hr45' after starting in
> a Bundt pan, from a cold oven set at 325°F/163°C. In future, I'll check
> several areas just before removing the cake, but as a one time "cheap and
> dirty" check, I wonder whether any of you folks have performed the same
> "experiment" with a pound cake also.

I haven't used my digital thermometer on a pound cake, but I have used it on
a rich fruit cake. I set the alarm just short of 212F/100C, then back of the
oven and hold 212/100 for the duration of the recipe.

For example recipe "Bake for 2 hours 15min at 325F/160C" Alarm goes off
after 90mins so I drop the temperature for the next 45 mins, and try and
maintain the internal cake temp of 212/100. This insures that the center is
moist, without being over or undercooked.

For this recipe there is no need for me to use the thermometer again -
unless I change the ingredients or weights etc. I then set the kitchen timer
for 2hr 15m, then reduce the temperature 250F/120C for the next 45 mins. You
would think the internal temp would go past 212/100, but it doesn't - well
perhaps by a very small margin.
Bertie