Posted to rec.food.cooking
Becca Becca is offline

Default Kraft Mac & Cheese

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Cheryl wrote:
>>
>> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> When I was very sick and could hardly eat anything, I ate Kraft Mac
>>> and Cheese with extra heavy cream added to it. It was one of the few
>>> things I could manage.
>>>

>> That was with tongue cancer, right? Once it got past the tongue to
>> the esophagus you felt ok to eat?

> My esophagus was all messed up from the radiation treatments.
> Swallowing was very hard and very painful. Mac and cheese was soft and
> slippery. The cream made it even more so and added some calories. I
> needed a lot of protein to heal the open wound on my stomach from the
> emergency colostomy when my colon ruptured in the midst of radiation.
> The mac and cheese with the extra cream was, for a while, the only
> solid food I could manage. Otherwise it was Boost.

One of my friends had problems with her esophagus and swallowing was too
painful, her doctor prescribed an anesthetic spray for her throat. One
day she was having lunch and I was rubbing an ointment on the radiation
burns that were on her back, and tears were running down her cheeks,
because it hurt so bad to swallow. It was all I could do to keep from
crying.

Janet, I am glad you are healthy and cancer-free, but it sounds like you
had a really rough time of it. I hope you never, ever have to go
through that again.

Becca