Posted to rec.food.cooking
Giusi[_2_] Giusi[_2_] is offline

Default Low-Iodine Diet (LID) recipe/menu ideas?

"Serene Vannoy" ha scritto nel messaggio
>I have a feeling that the most annoying part of thyroid cancer won't be >
>the surgeries or the doctor visits (as annoying as those are), but the >
>Radioactive Iodine (RAI) treatments and the attendant Low Iodine Diet >
>(LID). I have to do the LID for 2-4 weeks, depending, with no >
>exceptions, not even one. Also, I'll be off my meds for that two weeks, so
>I won't have much energy for cooking, so I have to make and buy lots > of
>stuff ahead of time.
>
> Serene

If this is to go on up to 4 weeks, I think you should loosen your thing
about meat because it can be so useful in flavoring things and making them
different from yesterday's food. I would probably make some severely
reduced stocks to start and freeze them in small bits to add to dishes,,,
but that's me.

Meantime, you can make hot water pasta like orecchiette with just plain
flour and hot water-- there are lots of possible shapes, but little ears are
the easiest. In a food processor you can make eggless pasta using hard
(durum) wheat, water and a bit of olive oil.
Both of these will be delightful in vegetable preparations, but you need to
think hard about proteins, too. So I would make pasta e fagioli sometimes,
but I like that made with stock.

Do fresh water fish have iodine? I would have thought trout, etc. would be
safe...

You are pretty much restricted to grains and beans for proteins and greens
for calcium, do you could easily prepare these ahead of time and freeze
them, then combine them into various dishes when thawed. Spelt, spinach and
chickpeas, or wheat berries with white beans and onion dressed with olive
oil and thyme, bit of lemon.

That's what comes off the top of my italianized brain-- shall think some
more.