Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger[_1_] Bob Terwilliger[_1_] is offline

Default Is RISOTTO hard to make at home?

Giusi replied to FERRANTE:

>> Every time I watch "Hell's Kitchen" and Gordon screams at the "chefs"
>> because they cannot make risotto properly, I get the impression that
>> it must be a difficult dish to make. Is it?

> I posted a lamb risotto recipe last week here which includes the what to
> look for etc. that I tell my students. It was lamb because that was the
> latest I'd made and I love it. Any other broth/stock can be sibstituted.
> Risotto does not have to have bits of solid food in it, although it often
> does. It does live or die on the quality of the broth and I always use
> homemade except for occasionall Better than Bouillon in what I call Legal
> Cheats Risotto-- published on Group Recipes.
>
> It is not difficult but don't screw with the recipe timing and procedure.
> Consider it a meditation opportunity. There is nothing more comforting on
> cold wet days.

I think the restaurant featured in "Hell's Kitchen" must take some kind of
shortcuts with the risotto, because when the contestants (who really don't
deserve to be called "chefs") make it by whatever method is practiced in
that kitchen, it leaves the kitchen only two or three minutes after the
order is called out.

Bob