Posted to rec.food.cooking
tintalle[_2_] tintalle[_2_] is offline

Default Is RISOTTO hard to make at home?

On Jan 24, 9:32*pm, FERRANTE > wrote:
> Every time I watch "Hell's Kitchen" and Gordon screams at the "chefs"
> because they cannot make risotto properly, I get the impression that
> it must be a difficult dish to make. Is it?
>
> I have never tasted risotto and would like to. Can someone supply is
> with a simple recipe or can it be purchased in a box mix?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Mark

Very easy to make actually, and well worth the bit of stirring it
takes.
I don't use a recipe, but generally as much arborio rice as i feel is
needed for the meal, and a lot of low sodium chicken stock (yes,
before you all yell at me, i buy it!). I love it with mushrooms, so i
use a mixture of dried wild mushrooms rehydrated in a little warm
stock and very finely chopped.

I like to cook the rice in a little butter first, just till its a
little "toasted", i like the flavor. Then, using hot stock, add a few
ladlefulls and gently stir while it cooks. When the broth is just
about cooked down, add more, a few ladles at a time. I find i use
about 5 cups of stock to 1 cup of rice, approximately. You have to be
patient and just stir it gently. When its just about the right
texture, creamy and thick but the rice grains are still separate, i
add in the mushrooms, and usually some very finely grated good
parmesan. MMMMm it's heavenly, rich and creamy and goes with just
about anything as a side.... or if i'm cooking for just me it's the
perfect main dish. I don't add salt as i find the chicken stock and
parm are more than enough, but a few generous grinds of fresh black
pepper suit me just fine.

tint