Posted to rec.food.cooking
Toronto Toronto is offline

Default What is a substitute for kitchen twine?

On Jan 22, 6:33*pm, Kris > wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am making some beef Braciole (Italian beef rolls) for a dinner party
> this weekend. *I have to tie the stuffed rolls with kitchen twine
> before I put them in the oven.
>
> Now, it's been a while since I bought kitchen twine and as luck would
> have it, I'm out. *I have gone to 2 high-end groceries and can't find
> the stuff!
>
> Not wanting to torment myself further, I'm wondering if something else
> would work in its place. I was thinking of (heavy duty) thread.
> That's all I have besides sisal/twine - which I'm afraid would shed
> into the meat/sauce!

I happened to see an Alton Brown ("Good Eats") episode the other day
where he dealt with the string/twine/core issue. He ended up
recommending linen twine, but I've used cotton without issues. Dollar
store cotton is pretty weak, but can be doubled up. Avoid sisle/hemp
or waxed twines for food use.