Posted to rec.food.preserving
Nick Cramer Nick Cramer is offline

Default Preserving eggplant

"D. Arlington" > wrote:
> What's the best way to preserve fresh eggplants? I always end with more
> than we can eat from the garden. Is there some way to preserve them? What
> methods have you tried?

The only one I know:

Nick's Caponata Siciliano:

3 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
600g (1 1/4 lb, 3 1/2 cups) diced (unpeeled) aubergine (eggplant)
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
2 small sticks celery, finely chopped
three to six large cloves of garlic, minced
six to 12 button mushrooms or equivalent, chopped
15-20 pitted green olives, chopped
10-15 pitted black olives, chopped
3 Tbs chopped drained bottled capers
4 Tbs (1/4 cup) red wine or Balsamic vinegar
1-1/2 Tbs sugar substitute I have diabetes), or to taste
3 Tbs golden raisins (optional, but nice)
3 Tbs pine nuts (pignole or piņones), toasted lightly (optional, but nice)
3/4 x 400g can (1 cup) good chopped plum tomatoes (San Marzano)
4 Tbs (1/4 cup) finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves (optional)

1. Cook the aubergine in 2 Tbs of the olive oil over moderately high heat.
The best way I've found to do this is to heat 1 Tbs oil in a heavy frying
pan, add the aubergine and mix well, then drizzle over another 1 Tbs oil
and mix again. This helps stop the cubes on the bottom from absorbing all
the oil. Cook, stirring often, until done - I like my aubergine very soft,
so I give it 15-20 minutes. When done, transfer to a bowl.

2. Add the remaining 1 Tbs oil to the frying pan, tip in the onion and
celery (I also add some minced garlic and mushrooms), and cook, stirring,
for about 5 minutes over moderate heat or until the onion is fairly soft
but not coloured.

3. Add the olives, capers, wine or vinegar, sugar substitute, raisins, pine
nuts (if using), and tomatoes and cook the mixture, stirring occasionally,
for 5-10 minutes, or until it is cooked through and the celery is tender.
Cook it covered if using fresh tomatoes, and uncovered if using canned,
since they have more juice.

4. Add the tomato mixture to the bowl. Add the parsley and mix well. Cool
and chill overnight, then season with salt and black pepper.

This should freeze well, but it doesn't last long enough here!

Mangia! Mangia!

families! I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.