Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Thai food recommendation

Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "Charlene Charette" > wrote in message
> m...
>> My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do hot,
>> peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to nothing
>> about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something it was too
>> hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least one dish I
>> could eat. Any recommendations?

> Pad Thai is not at all spicy and everyone loves it. Satay pork is quite
> nice. Panang beef is a favorite. You can always ask them to hold off on
> the spices for any dish. They will typically cook it mild if you ask.

I agree about the Pad Thai. I have never found that to be spicy. We have
a nice Thai restaurant near here and they will adjust the spice to your
taste using a scale of 1 to 5. The last time we were there with out son
we toned it down because , while my son and I both like hot spicy food,
my wife refers it somewhat milder. So we ordered one dish at 2 and the
other at 3. The 2 was mild for my taste, but the 3 was really hot. They
must use a logarithmic scale. I hate to imagine what 4 or 5 would be like.