Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel Dan Abel is offline

Default Thai food recommendation

In article > ,
Charlene Charette > wrote:

> My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do
> hot, peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to
> nothing about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something
> it was too hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least
> one dish I could eat. Any recommendations?

I've never seen plain rice spiced up. :-)

In my limited experience in restaurants, the soups and salads are not
very hot. The curries are often hot, even if you ask them not to be.
Everything else is spiced to order. In a large group, sometimes we
order some hot items and some not hot. The server will bring table
condiments if asked, for those who want to add heat.

If you aren't eating in a restaurant, it's just a matter of reducing the
hot spices. Of course, if you are the only one who wants it mild, and
several others want it fiery, there will be some negotiating to be done.

In Thai restaurants I've been to, the server is the best resource for
asking which dishes would be best for those who like their food milder.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA