Posted to rec.food.cooking
Clay Irving Clay Irving is offline

Default Thai food recommendation

On 2009-01-13, Charlene Charette > wrote:

> My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do
> hot, peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to
> nothing about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something
> it was too hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least
> one dish I could eat. Any recommendations?

I think surely there is! You can browse these recipes:

http://www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook/...tents.cgi?thai

Or browse photographs of Thai food:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirv...7603576753446/

Some Thai food like Kaeng Chuet Wunsen, a clear soup with pork meatballs,
cellophane noodles, green onion, and fried garlic, aren't spicy at all.
Greens, like phak bung, are stir-fried with oyster sauce and fish sauce.
The spiciness of fried seafood is often determined by the sauce. One of
my favorite "non-spicy" Thai dishes is Gai Ho Bai Toei, chicken wrapped in
pandanus leaves and fried -- The pandanus leaves give the chicken a nice
flavor and it is usually served with a sweet dipping sauce.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them.

--
Clay Irving >
We have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.