Posted to rec.food.cooking
theron theron is offline

Default Cooking a 3 pound standing rib

"Audrey" > wrote in message
> Long, Long time lurker first time poster here. I have a defrosted 3 pound
> standing rib roast and I'm wondering how long and what method I should use
> in preparing it. I've made much larger standing ribs before but never one
> this small and all the recipes I've seen are for at least 6 and usually 8
> to 10 pound roasts. I could sure use your expert advise.
> Audrey

Is this a 1 rib roast, or is it boneless and from the end? We just had a
small 2 rib[ribs 11 and 12] standing rib roast. It weighed just over 5 lb.
I'd slather the cut ends with bacon fat, and roast at a very low temp.
275-300F. I wouldn't do anything to brown the cut ends. Cooks Illustrated
just had an article about charing meat and whether it helps moisture
retention. They say charing or searing doesn't affect the drying out of the
meat.

Thery