Posted to rec.food.cooking
Victor Sack[_1_] Victor Sack[_1_] is offline

Default Cooking a 3 pound standing rib

Audrey > wrote:

> Long, Long time lurker first time poster here. I have a
> defrosted 3 pound standing rib roast and I'm wondering how long
> and what method I should use in preparing it. I've made much
> larger standing ribs before but never one this small and all the
> recipes I've seen are for at least 6 and usually 8 to 10 pound
> roasts. I could sure use your expert advise.

What kind of rib roast? Beef? Veal? Pork? Lamb/mutton? If it is
beef, how many ribs? Probably two, at most, at that weight. If so, I'd
divide it into individual rib steaks and cook them as such.

If you still want to cook it whole, pat it with a mixture of dried
crushed oregano and thyme, black pepper, a bit of cayenne and paprika,
and salt, and roast in a hot oven (220°C/425°F) for about 30 minutes,
then reduce the temperature to 200°C/400°F und cook for about 30-45
minutes longer, until the inside temperature is 30°C/90°F at most
(anything higher is barbarous). Then let it rest in a warm oven for
30-45 minutes. Resting will let it continue cooking for a bit and the
juices will be well distributed throughout the meat.

Victor