TomD

Default Propane tank valve will not open !

"buzzsaw" > wrote in message
> Hi I just got my tank refilled at Uhaul, and when I hooked it up,

the valve
> won't open. I mean it is beyond tight - it is like stuck! Now I am

a stong
> man and it is no longer "hand tight", I dont know what happened. I

have
> tried pilers, hitting the valve with a hammer - it won't budge. Any

ideas
> on this one?

Hi Buzzsaw,

Assuming the valve stem is not bent and looks undamaged, I would try
loosening the packing nut. They may have tightened it too much to
stop a leak.. The nut is below the handle and the stem passes thru
it.

Do it outside (away from fire), loosen a little, and try to open the
valve. Repeat a couple more times if necessary, BUT DO NOT LET THE
NUT COME COMPLETELY OUT. It may leak a little, but not a problem. If
it works, tighten as needed to stop any leaks. If it doesn't work,
retighten. Again, be careful not to remove the packing nut.

HTH,

TomD