Posted to alt.food.wine
Zeppo[_1_] Zeppo[_1_] is offline

Default Shipping wine in winter?

>> Hi,
>> Any issues with buying wine online and having it shipped this time of
>> year?
>>

> There can be. Usually there's more of an issue having the wine shipped in
> the heat of summer.
>
> But if either the source, or your place is under 10 F (guideline from one
> of the wine auction places on the web) it can be risky.
>
>> I bought a wine in the Finger Lakes area over the summer that I really
>> loved (Red Newt Red EFT) and I'd like to get some more. I found it
>> online and was about to order when I had visions of ice crystal laden
>> bottles arriving at my door.

> I've read (on this group) that ice crystals in the bottles aren't likely
> ruin the wine. But if it gets frozen enough to push the cork out, or
> crack
> the bottle, then the wine is ruined.
>
> I'd think that if you look for a time when the low temperatures at both
> finger lakes, and your place is in the 20s or above, you should be OK.
>

>> Can someone guide me on this?

> I don't know your address, but if you live in a frigid area of the country
> you may have to wait til March. I think, (someone more familiar with the
> area would have better info), that even though Finger Lakes has cold
> winters, your likely to find a window where the lows will be well over 10
> with a probable wait of only a couple weeks.
>
> Hope this helps.

Hi Jim,
I checked availability and the weather reports and decided to go with it.
I'm Southeastern PA, so it's not a problem on my end, but it will be in the
low 20's in the Finger Lakes for the weekend. I asked the shipper to hold
off until early next week when it will be a bit warmer.

Thanks for replying,
Jon