Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel Dan Abel is offline

Default Req; Copycat Campbells Pork And Beans Recipe?

In article >,
Gloria P > wrote:

> > > wrote in message
> >> Tried a google search but all I seem to be coming up with are copycat
> >> recipes that
> >> include campbells canned beans.

> And isn't it simpler just to buy a can of beans once in a while?

Two arguments against that:

1. It's hard to really appreciate something unless you've tried to make
it yourself.

2. Sometimes when you try something different, you find a new favorite.

So my wife and I decided to make some baked beans from scratch. I know
my aunt used to do this. We were discouraged, as the poster was above,
by the sheer number of recipes that started out:

2 cans [Brand X] baked beans

We also talked to a lot of people who "made" their own baked beans, with
similar instructions. I would ask them why, and they were quite
surprised. It was just how it was done, open cans of beans, and then
make them "theirs" by adding stuff. Unfortunately, I don't like a lot
of sugar, and baked beans have too much sugar for my taste, and these
"enhancements" almost always involved brown sugar or catsup.

So my wife and I made baked beans two or three times. I think we took
them to a potluck once. So now we know, just buy a can of baked beans.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA