Posted to alt.food.wine
Michael Pronay Michael Pronay is offline

Default Spumante or Prosecco

"Anna Maria" > wrote:

> I'm sorry, I made a mistake; but in Italy it's not common to
> find a Prosecco without sparkles (probably just only in the
> same area of production -or in USA?).

Mostly in the area of production.

> When we speak about "Prosecco" we mean "Prosecco Cartizze" that
> is always sparkling

Not true once again. Wines labelled "Superiore di Cartizze"
come from a subzone of the DOC Conegliano-/Valdobbiadene.
DOC regulations say that Conegliano-/Valdobbiadene tranquillo
and frizzante have an alcohol minimum of 10.5%, spumante of 11%.
Cartizze's minimum is 11% for still and slightly sparkling wines,
11.5% for full sparklers.

Given the premium that is paid for Cartizze spumante, I guess that
in real life well over 99% of Cartizze is, in fact, sparkling.

> or "Prosecco di Conegliano and/or Valdobbiadene" that they
> are prevalently sparkling.

True.

M.