Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
JG JG is offline

Default Slowing primary fermentation

Hey gang,
I have a chardonnay that refuses to finish primary fermentation. The
first signs of primary ferm. started about 6.5 weeks ago. I have 3
vessels and two are at 1 Brix and one is at 1.5 brix. I pitched EC-1118
at 2 brix 3.5 weeks ago and warmed it and it seems to have done some
good but I expected it to be done by now. Last night, I put in a very
small amount of superfood thinking the yeast were nutrient starved at
the end of the fermentation. Here are my questions:

1. I see bubbles coming to the top but there is no foam to speak of.
Is it possible to complete MLF and have an off dry wine? I suppose it
is since they are independent processes but I am wondering if I am
seeing MLF bubbles and not Primary Ferm bubbles.

2. I've read about stuck fermentations at <= 1 Brix and am wondering if
what I have done will be enough to mercifully finish this fermentation soon.

The good news is there is still bubble activity but I am worried it is
MLF since it is taking so long to finish. There are no off odors or
colors and I've got the vessels topped up. The wine tastes fine and is
a bit fizzy so I think it can be salvaged but I'd feel better if it
finished soon.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!
Joe