Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default Soup thickening

In article >,
"SteveB" <toquerville@zionvistas> wrote:

> I went to a restaurant yesterday, and they had great clam chowder. Then my
> wife made some corn chowder today, and it was altogether different. The
> thick almost gravy broth had a flour taste. The restaurant chowder had the
> same consistency, but a much more flavorful broth.
>
> What is a good combination for thickening soup broths? Cornstarch? Wondra?
>
> Steve

Floury taste means the roux wasn't cooked long enough. I don't thicken
my soup broths ‹ I like them liquid. Cooking barley in soup will
thicken the soup ‹ more than I like, so I cook the barley separately and
add it to the soup.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, Thelma and Louise