Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Soup thickening

SteveB wrote:

> I went to a restaurant yesterday, and they had great clam chowder. Then my
> wife made some corn chowder today, and it was altogether different. The
> thick almost gravy broth had a flour taste. The restaurant chowder had the
> same consistency, but a much more flavorful broth.
>
> What is a good combination for thickening soup broths? Cornstarch? Wondra?

Flour taste indicates the flour was not cooked enough, and probably
added late as just a flour / water mix. Make a roux seperatly and add
that to thicken the chowder. You still have to simmer it for a few
minutes to get the thickening, but since the roux is already cooked
separately there is less chance of having a flour taste.