Thomas Reat

Default chili raw meat? slow chili cooking?

If I'm making chili that might be cooked (simmering/slow boil) for 8
hours, is it OK to throw in raw ground beef at the beginning? I would
expect it to quite safely thoroughly cook within an hour if not less
in such an environment.

What about throwing pork chops into the chili to remove them around
the 3 hour mark, cut up/shred and throw back in to make a nice
beef-pork chili? Raw pork is pretty dangerous, how long after this
would it be safe to even take a taste?

Even if it's safe, is there some reason to worry about sacrificing the
taste by doing this? I'd like to think I am helping the taste. I
realize I'm missing an opportunity to remove fat. But healthy cooking
is for the other 20 meals of the week.

I'm trying to use slow long cooking to produce the best possible
chili.