Jack Curry

Default Skin Treatment on Smoked Turkey

jmcquown wrote:
> Davis wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I've been basting with margarine with each new addition of coals
>> (about every 1.5 hours) while smoking a 12 pound turkey, but the skin
>> is still coming out very dark and leathery. Any suggestions? Thanks
>> in advance for your input.

> It's probably taking FOREVER to smoke that turkey because you aren't
> suppose to mess with it every hour, let alone baste it. Margarine?
> Yikes! If you have a decent smoker, you shouldn't have to replenish
> the coals and hickory, apple or whatever wood every 1.5 hours. And
> the water pan should keep the skin of the turkey moist. So I'm not
> sure what you're doing....
>
> However to address the colour of the skin, smoked turkey has a skin
> the colour of a good mahogany. And yes, it will appear wrinkled.
> But, if you keep the water pan filled, it will not be dry, tough or
> leathery.
>
> Jill

Sorry Jill, but that's not so. A water pan will make little or no
difference in retaining moisture in the meat (it just acts as a heat
deflector and a pan full of sand works equally well). Slow smoking a turkey
is going to result in a rubbery-textured skin, which is the price paid for
this method of cooking a bird.
OP, just toss the skin and enjoy the meat.
Jack Curry