Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Default White pumpkins?

Nancy Young replied to Ken:

> Ken wrote:
>> Yesterday at Wal-Mart I saw a bin full of white pumpkins! Never saw
>> them that color before. I don't buy pumpkins but thought it was
>> curious. They're for jack o'lanterns I assume. I think I would prefer
>> orange ones for that.

> Ghost pumpkins. People use them in fall decorations, though I assume
> they also eat them. I even saw the miniature pumpkin gourds in white.
> Very cute.

They had small white ones with the regular baking pumpkins at my farmers
market yesterday. I saw the large white ones for the first time last
year. The sign with the small ones said they were great for baking. Not
sure about the variety though.

Perhaps I will give them a try, but right now I think I will stick with
the traditional colors!

I did buy some squash yesterday that was served last night. The sign
said something like "Honey Best," but when I looked them up online they
appeared to be Delicata or Sugar Loaf. The thicker skin proved it to be
the Sugar Loaf. Delicious!

Now I need to figure out something cool to do with the Sugar pumpkins
and butternut squash! All the recipes of late are inspiring me.

--Lin