Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default White pumpkins?

On Sep 28, 10:46�am, Ken > wrote:
> Yesterday at Wal-Mart I saw a bin full of white pumpkins! Never saw them
> that color before. I don't buy pumpkins but thought it was curious. They're
> for jack o'lanterns I assume. I think I would prefer orange ones for that..

The white ones have orange flesh. Pumpkins are actually gourds, they
are available in many varieties, all colors, sizes, configurations.
All are good for eating... folks typically buy the smaller ones for
pie making mainly because what would they do with thirty+ pounds of
pumpkin flesh. If you check out the major seed catalogs you will see
that most all are recommended for pie making... I find the larger,
dryer, more strongly flavored fleshed varieties make better pie
filling.