Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default pectin - Certo

Tarpon wrote:
> Hi All,
> I'm going to try and make hot pepper jelly. I've never done this
> before and the use of pectin is causing me some head scratching. I
> hope that some of you may be able to help with my questions.
>
> 1. I've a recipe that calls for 6 oz of pectin. Are liquid and
> powdered pectin equivalent, 6 oz of either?
> 2. Is there a formula that tells you how much pectin to use? Say if I
> have total of 8 cups of peppers, water and sugar I need "x" grams of
> pectin?
>
> Any help or guidance is appreciated. (I've got lots of hot peppers in
> my garden to use :-))

Pectin is not something to be afraid of, but IIRC the liquid and
powdered varieties are used in a slightly different manner. I usually
use the liquid and, when making fruit jams, it is added to the mixture
after it has boiled for the requisite period of time for that fruit.
The recipe that I used for hot red pepper jelly calls for mixture to
come to a boil, take it off the heat, add the Certo and then return it
to a boil.

I would suggest that the recipe is likely written in accordance with a
tried and tested method, and so the best advice that I can offer is that
you follow that recipe and use the type and amount of Certo specified.
After you have made a few batches of jams and jellies and seen how they
thicken, then you can start altering pectin.

This is the recipe that I used. It is delicious and FWIW, I see
absolutely no use for the food colouring.

Hot Pepper Jelly
2 to 3 small green bell peppers
2 (3oz) pouches or 1 (6oz) bottle
Certo liquid fruit pectin
3 to 4 hot red or green peppers
6 1/2 cups sugar
red or green food coloring (opt)
1 1/2 cup cider vinegar

Seed and coarsely chop the bell and hot peppers. Place the bell peppers
in a blender or food processor and puree' until liquefied. (if needed,
add 1 tablespoon vinegar to the pepper for easier blending). Puree the
hot peppers until liquefied. In a large pot, combine the 1 cup of pureed
peppers with the sugar and vinegar over high heat. Bring to a boil and
add Certo. Add food coloring (opt). Bring to a boil again and pour jelly
into pitcher. Pour into 1/2 pints jars and seal. Makes about 7 half pints.