Posted to rec.food.cooking
Goomba[_2_] Goomba[_2_] is offline

Default White versus blue poppy seeds

Sheldon wrote:
> On Sep 5, 9:06�am, Goomba > wrote:
>> I accidentally ordered white poppy seeds instead of blue. I'm in the
>> mood to bake a lemon poppy pound cake.
>>
>> Is there any taste difference to bother worrying about? Until I rec'd
>> these, I actually never had white poppy seeds before or knew they existed?

> White poppy seeds are very different from blue poppy seeds... I
> wouldn't sububstitute. All poppy seeds have a high oil content
> therefore are prone to rancidity; store in fridge up to six months.
>
> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...poppyseed.html

Ooops! Too late! I have always kept these in the freezer. They tasted
fine off my finger. The recipe only called for 2 tsp. so if there is a
marked flavor difference I don't know that it will be too obvious?

I used "European style" Challenge brand butter and just tasting the
creamed butter and sugar was amazingly rich and tasty. I hope the pound
cake comes out well. I'm testing the new oven on baking and wanted to
bring something sweet in to work tonight.