Posted to rec.food.preserving
Mark A.Meggs Mark A.Meggs is offline

Default Using leaves of dill instead of "head" of dill

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 13:57:29 -0700 (PDT), Deidzoeb
> wrote:

>The Zydeco pickled green beans recipe from Joy of Pickling calls for
>one head of dill in each pint of pickled green beans. I bought some
>fresh "baby dill" at the grocery store, hoping this won't make a big
>difference.. Then I googled "head of dill" to find out exactly how
>much or what part of it is supposed to be used. Some kind of "seed
>head" which seemed to be lacking from the bunch of baby dill I bought.
>There was no part of it that looked like this:
>i183.photobucket.com/albums/x318/turbo-1/dill.jpg
>
>I just used a few tablespoons of leaves for each jar instead.
>
>From what I've read, most herbs have a negligible impact on the
>acidity of the recipe when used in small amounts. Will this be safe?
>Will it have a stronger or weaker flavor, or just different?
>
>Thanks for your help.

If you can't get seed heads, you probably want to use seed as a
substitute. Outside a farmer's market or your own garden, you'll
probably never run into seedheads - too fragile to survive shipping.

Best bet if you want to keep on pickling with dill is to grow some
yourself.

- Mark