DesertDad

Default Red Jalapenos

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
om...

> "DesertDad" > wrote in message
> > Anyone have a good connection for Fresh Red Ripe Jalapenos in Phoenix or
> > Arizona for making Chipotles? I usually go to 2 or 3 Food City Hispanic
> > Markets around town and pick out the colored ones from the mountain of
> > Jalapenos but I would like to do a full box or bushel of red and ripe in

> my
> > WSM smoker.
> >
> > What happens if you smoke green jalapenos? Is it just a yucky color? are
> > they hotter or milder than the red?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Brad
> >

> Go ahead and smoke the green ones. They don't result in that nice roan
> color (more brown) but they will taste the same. If that's not to your
> liking, buy the green ones and let them ripen in your kitchen. Either way
> is better than chasing all over town for red ones.
>
> Jack

Thanks,
I will try the green. I have found "red jalapenos" in some markets but they
don't have the same shape. They have a pointy tip rather than a rounded tip
so they may be a Fresno or something. The price is always about 3 times more
than the green. At the major Hispanic markets they usually have 5 or more
bushels on display so I can weed through them and find a few turning.
Besides the price is less than half of what you would pay in a Gringo
market.
Does anyone have a tip on ripening? Room temperature? in a bag with a
banana? or just out in the open to shrivel up?

Brad