Posted to rec.food.equipment
Chris De Young Chris De Young is offline

Default Is Propane Safe to use on a Gas Stove Indoors?

wrote:
> I guess the title says it. I have converted my natural gas stove over
> to use propane, (meaning I flipped over the regulator plug like the
> manual said). The stove works great on propane, but now I'm wondering
> if it's safe to breath the same air in the kitchen.

Should be safe enough as long as everything is working, no leaks. I think the
main reason people don't like propane indoors (no LP tanks stored indoors, for
example) is that leaks are more dangerous. Natural gas is lighter than air, and
mixes with it readily, so leaks dissipate relatively easily. Propane is heavier
than air and doesn't mix as easily, so it tends to pool in low places - bigger
hazard.

At least that's my understanding - could be wrong.

-C