Posted to rec.food.preserving
The Joneses[_1_] The Joneses[_1_] is offline

Default ascorbic acid - Fruit Fresh

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
m...
> ljp wrote:
>> When drying apples I'm supposed to pre-treat with ascorbic acid or
>> lemon juice. I'm having trouble finding either.

> Have you looked inside a lemon?
>
> B/

Limes can be even acider, and interesting differments in taste. Or
pineapple juice, or grapefruit juice (either sweetened or unsweetened, gag -
no high fructose corn syrup, please!) Think about apple cider vinegar in the
water? Just a think there, I've never done it. Or light wines, better the
ones that make your nose wrinkle - the pH test you know. Apple jack?
bourbon? Tequila? To the devil with prissy white apple chips, lets have
somethin' with some *flavor.*
Down here we get dried fruits sprinkled with chili powder (the mix, check
them *&^% added ingredients, usually salt is the first item), powdered chile
(the real deal - chipotle or green chile anyone?), and/or sugar with various
flavorings.
I had some absoluter wonderful applewoodsmoked chipotle in Sante Fe once
with Christine. That stuff was fab! To diet for, dahling.
I think you may have created a monster.
Edrena