Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Stacey Stacey is offline

Default Freezing starter? ? ?

> Some people have said that packets of dry starts found
> in Sourdough Jack's old books come up just fine after
> several decades. *Can that be believed?
>
> What do you think?

I'd be curious to know what the directions for revival were.

I read through a number of books on making starters before trying my
own last year, and several of them came with powdered starter packets
taped to the inside cover. Their instructions for "reviving" it,
however, generally told me to mix the packet up and let it sit (some
said to feed it as well) for three days or so before it would be ready
for use.... which is pretty much what I did when starting from
scratch.

So - was that supposed to be reviving a dried starter, or making a new
one? I found it a little hard to tell...

Stacey