Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Best way to store uncooked rice?

Ted wrote on Thu, 24 Jul 2008 09:01:30 -0400:

> Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and
> sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:
>> I checked two bags of rice I had stored and both had little
>> bugs on the inside. What is the best way to store uncooked
>> rice to avoid bugs or is there no way to prevent it? A friend
>> told me that she stores her bags of rice in the fridge until needed.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Anthony

> The best way (especially for long term storage) is to put the rice in
> airtight container(s) along with an oxygen absorber
> packet or 2 (depending on the size of the container).

I only buy colored rice in small quantities and it's sometimes a welcome
change but not worth keeping around for occasional use, IMHO.. I've
never come across bug problems with the domestic rice that I keep in
tightly lidded containers and I don't buy large quantities of imported
rice in cloth sacks. Given the amount of rice that I use, it's hardly
worth the small savings in buying large bags.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland