Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ted Campanelli Ted Campanelli is offline

Default Best way to store uncooked rice?

Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
so great) words of knowledge:
> I checked two bags of rice I had stored and both had little bugs on
> the inside. What is the best way to store uncooked rice to avoid bugs
> or is there no way to prevent it? A friend told me that she stores her
> bags of rice in the fridge until needed.
>
> Thanks,
> Anthony

The best way (especially for long term storage) is to put the rice in
airtight container(s) along with an oxygen absorber packet or 2
(depending on the size of the container).

As others have stated, the insect eggs are most likely already on the
rice. Removing the oxygen will not only increase the amount of time the
rice can be stored, but prevent (or kill) any insect eggs from
developing/hatching.