Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Best way to store uncooked rice?

Anthony Ferrante wrote:

> I checked two bags of rice I had stored and both had little bugs on
> the inside. What is the best way to store uncooked rice to avoid bugs
> or is there no way to prevent it? A friend told me that she stores her
> bags of rice in the fridge until needed.

99.9 pct of the time insect eggs are in rice (and other grain
products) when you buy it, how you store it wont change anything in
that regard... you can freeze rice to keep the little buggers from
hatching but they're still in there. It's a good idea to store rice
in an airtight container but only because rice is a magnet for
nefariuos odors, and rice also readily absorbs moisture... but all
airtight does for bugs is keep them from escaping. If the rice you
buy regularly contains bugs buy a different brand, but better is to
shop elsewhere. I've heard that some zap raw rice in their microwave
to kill the insects but I've never tried.